Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a router using DD-WRT firmware. I also have a computer that has a 3g wireless connection. How can I tell my router to access the internet through my computer?

[edit: the computer with access runs windows 7]

See figure: enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted
  1. Set up sharing on COMPUTER with 3G
  2. Set up static ip address on COMPUTER with 3G ( or so)
  3. Connect your COMPUTER with 3G to WAN port on ROUTER
  4. Set up static ip address on WAN settings with GATEWAY pointing to - Ip address from range 192.168.5.X), as DNS servers you could use some google servers,
  5. Enjoy :-) As long as you've shared your connection on COMPUTER properly you should be fine.
share|improve this answer
This worked perfectly! At first I thought it didn't, but I tried again and it's fine. Thanks so much, I would have never figured this out! – hughes Aug 3 '11 at 2:00

You need to enable some kind of Internet Connection sharing feature on the computer with the Internet connection. You haven't stated what OS you're using, so better details will be harder to give.

Here's some potentially helpful links:

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the info. The computer with access is running windows 7. – hughes Aug 2 '11 at 17:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .