Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was transferring a 2GB file from my desktop to an external hard drive. But I accidentally restarted the computer. Now I'm getting crc errors and I can't access what's on the hard drive. Windows 7 always says that I format the drive. Is there any way I can fix this, using a free software. What do I do recover the data?Please help,

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 2 down vote accepted

you can perform checkdisk on that drive or perform a low level format.

share|improve this answer
is it possible to recover the data once I get this kind of errors? –  Ieyasu Sawada Aug 5 '11 at 11:25
yes you can recover with tools like easyrecovery, recover my files etc. –  Asghar Aug 5 '11 at 11:26
If it is asking him to format, it is not showing him any partition, or drive letter. You can't run chkdsk with no letter. –  KCotreau Aug 5 '11 at 12:39

I do not know if you can fix the disk, but depending on how valuable the data is, File Scavenger would recover it, but the version you would need is $49.


share|improve this answer

I would caution you to run a diagnostic on the drive before you do anything else. You may well have more than just CRC errors as they usually only come up on a bad drive. Contrary to what others say, CRC errors are unrecoverable. They are usually seen as a result of the internal logic of the drive giving different data for the same sectors and the check noticing this and throwing up an error.

Western Digital and Seagate both have software that can and will low level format your drive if it needs it. As long as you don't have a failed or failing drive, you should be able to recover your data or at least some of it provided you don't write very much to it.

Good luck because I think you are going to need it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.