I am building a Custom NAS at home and need some suggestions on OS to use. Here is the configuration I will be using.
- Intel Atom 1.8 GHz (D425) Processor - (Consume less power, and less noisy)
- 2 GB RAM
- 4 TB HDD Initially, which can go upto 12 TB
Only 300-400 GB of data in this will be super-critical, which I am planning to backup using Backblaze. For rest, in worst circumstances I can afford to loose. It will be basically dump of my DVDs and MP3 Collections.
I would also like to do following thing with it
- Access it remotely via Windows XP (Graphical Interface will be a Plus)
- Able to install Torrent Client
- Give FTP access in Local Network
- Ability to download Podcasts
At first I was thinking of going with Windows XP (with stripped down version using nLite), but now I am diverting towards having a Linux Installed. I checked FreeNAS but it don't look very promising for extending it to things like iTunes and Torrents.
Any suggestions? What problems will I face?