Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a device that I am currently connecting to my local network via a serial port to LAN converter (NPort 5110) I am looking for a piece of hardware I can connect to the group that will allow WLAN communication for my device.

So the setup is

[device]-[nport] ==lan cable== [router]

and I would like

[device]-[nport]-[wlan-enabling-device] >> wifi connection >> [router]

problem is i'm not even sure such devices exist and if they do i'm unsure what they are called or where to look for them.

share|improve this question

migrated from Aug 10 '11 at 22:20

This question came from our site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts.

up vote 1 down vote accepted

woulndnt a standard ethernet to wireless bridge suit your purpose? something like this?

share|improve this answer

There are serial-wifi devices that would be a nearly a drop-in replacement for your serial-lan device. For example, the manufacturer of your current devices also offers the NPort W2150/2250

Alternately, many wrt54gl-stype home wifi access points capable of running an alternative firmware can be operated "backwards" in wifi client mode where they use the wifi as the upstream provider for a lan formed from their wired-ethernet ports.

share|improve this answer
unfortunately the NPort 2150/2250 (I've purchased both) do not work with my device. I have contacted MOXA about the issue and they have been unable to provide assistance. Furthermore, 90% of our clients currently use the NPort 5110, So I am looking for an inexpensive solution to give them wireless access. But thankyou for your answer, I will look into the access points running in different modes. – rlemon Aug 11 '11 at 12:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .