Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm not really into electronics but for some projects I would like to be able to control some real hardware with a computer. So I'm looking for a solution that I can simply plug into my USB port and that (ideally without any additional drivers) will let me trigger a switch (to turn a LED on and off for an example) using say python code. Is there such solution/board/interface out there?

(I don't want to use an Arduino or similar, just looking for an interface)

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by BinaryMisfit Aug 11 '11 at 11:20

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

What reason have you for not wanting to use Ardiono or similar? – N.N. Aug 11 '11 at 8:52
Well, from what i understand, the idea of things like the Arduino is that they can run by themself, without a computer. This of course brings limitations like limited processing power, limited (or more complex) connectivity etc. Since i don't need a device that runs without a computer this would simply be overhead for me.. – joekr Aug 11 '11 at 9:11
If you attach hardware to the PC, then a (device) driver is involved; otherwise the PC would not know how to interface with the device. – sawdust Aug 11 '11 at 11:11
I was hoping for something that doesn't need an additional driver so maybe something that registers as a joystick... – joekr Aug 12 '11 at 10:28
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Try a google search for "usb relay switch". A relay is an electromechanical switch that can be (remotely) toggled electrically.

share|improve this answer
Thanks! That seems to be pretty much what i was looking for! – joekr Aug 12 '11 at 10:28

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.