On a Windows 7 system (Host PC) running Virtualbox, I am trying to install CentOS 5.6 (x86_64 a.k.a 64-bit version) server.
I tried a couple of installations, since most people I asked for help told me to "learn by doing and failing." Unfortunately I am only failing at this time.
I've got lots of doubts right from the beginning, hope you can help: (NOTE: I am trying to setup a CentOS LAMP server, where I'll install a wordpress website, which should be accessible to anyone on the web, like you and me, when I switch on the system. I hope you understand?)
- Mine is a LAN (8mbps broadband) connection, unlike those 100/1000mbps high-bandwidth connections these Hosting companies get. Can still setup a public server?
- At this point during the installation (see screenshot)... the option to encryption offers more security. But will enabling it prevent people from being able to access my website? or it doesn't matter? If so, why doesn't any hosting company that I know of do this by default?
- At this point during the installation (see screenshot)... I don't know what to put in the fields shown - - IP Address and Prefix. (here's my ipconfig details - - see screenshot). What should I put in the given fields?
- First (see screenshot)... are these fields correct?
- manually: host1.comicb.us - - I own comicb.us domain and that's where my test blog is going to be.
- Gateway: 192.168.1.1 - - according to my ISP
- Primary DNS: 184.108.40.206 - - according to my ISP
- Secondary DNS: 220.127.116.11 - - according to my ISP
I reason why I said my installation is failing is because, my server is unable to connect to the internet. I tested this by pinging google.com. Obviously, the error should be in one of the above.