I recently installed a version of nLite on a computer, and after booting I noticed that a few things went wrong.
- The theme was Windows 2000
- None of the applications I had told nLite to install had installed
- I could not switch the "Luna" theme
- I could not install all of the applications, and would get the error "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."
- When trying to install Google Chrome I got the error "Google Update installation failed with error 0x800706ba," whether with the standalone installer or the regular one.
Unfortunately, I am my support personnel, so no help there.
The only services that are being started (despite most being set to "automatic") are:
- Cryptographic Services
- Plug and Play
- Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
- Windows Audio
Additionally, I can't run msconfig.
This problem is similar to this question, but I only got this working after much trouble and strife, and quite a bit of luck, so reinstalling won't work. Not to mention the fact that I can start the services at all, attempting to start them gets partway done, then stops. The status in the Services window says "Starting," and stays there.
Is this the same problem? Is there another way around it? Could my nLite commands have caused critical systems to stop functioning?