I am attempting to connect to a remote Oracle DB via ODBC. I am totally inexperienced and fail to connect.
What I have installed:
- Oracle 'ODBC Driver for RDB'
- A program I want to connect from (Altova Mapforce, an ETL)
What I do:
- Under Administrative tools I open the Windows "ODBC Data Source Administrator
- I click 'Add..' and select the Oracle ODBC Driver
The Window 'Oracle RDB Driver Setup' opens. I fill in:
- Data source name: free choice
- Description: I leave blank
- Transport: I choose TCP/IP
- Server: I input the IP address of the server
- Service: I leave 'generic'
- UserID: I enter the user name (that belongs to the password I have)
- Attach Statement: no idea what do do here??
Upon choosing 'OK', the 'Oracle RDB ODBC Driver Connect' opens and I am prompted the password. I enter the password and the connection fails.
- Do I need further programs on my computer, e.g. the Oracle client of Instant client?
- I am never prompted the port of the server - isn't this relevant?
- I am never prompted SID - isn't this relevant?
- I connected from SQL developer easily - it prompted only server IP, port, username, password and SID.