Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My fn-key is broken, but I need it to click the "monitor"-key on my f5-key.

I need this because my PC isn't detecting my new monitor.

Is there anyway to simulate a fn+f5 click?

Or is there anyway else, to click this key?

share|improve this question
You can probably just use a software keyboard (on-screen) or find a program that lets you re-map keys.. – Doc Aug 12 '11 at 22:08
Do you have a download link for a software keyboard? I already tried a remapping program which included over 30 keys, but none of them were the fn-key, only "Wake (fn)" was included, which didn't work. – Tyilo Aug 12 '11 at 22:10
Maybe the built-in Windows one will do it Start > All Programs > Accessories -- in some place like that. – Doc Aug 12 '11 at 22:12
Doesn't include the fn-key – Tyilo Aug 12 '11 at 22:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.