Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a product similar to the Dell DRAC that can give low-level access to a PC from a remote location, i.e. access the BIOS, reboot the PC, etc. These are common in servers, but I have yet to find a simple, relatively low cost PCI adapter to accomplish this with a standard PC. Manufacturer-specific cards like this can be found on eBay, but I doubt they'd work in a normal PC.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

share|improve this question
You may want to check out Remotely turning on or rebooting a frozen computer – Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 Aug 14 '11 at 1:52

Manufacturer-specific cards

The reason they're manufacturer-specific is because they need to co-operate with the motherboard for a lot of low level tasks, like accessing the BIOS and rebooting the PC.

If you do find a generic one, I don't know if it will be cheap.

techi007 has the right idea, look at Intel's AMT or AMD's DASH and see if that fits your bill. Otherwise you're probably SOL.

share|improve this answer
Those cards do exist, though they are difficult to get. An example is the Raritan eRic G4. – Martin Argerami Apr 8 at 9:51

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .