Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm looking for a product similar to the Dell DRAC that can give low-level access to a PC from a remote location, i.e. access the BIOS, reboot the PC, etc. These are common in servers, but I have yet to find a simple, relatively low cost PCI adapter to accomplish this with a standard PC. Manufacturer-specific cards like this can be found on eBay, but I doubt they'd work in a normal PC.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

share|improve this question
You may want to check out Remotely turning on or rebooting a frozen computer –  Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 Aug 14 '11 at 1:52

1 Answer 1

Manufacturer-specific cards

The reason they're manufacturer-specific is because they need to co-operate with the motherboard for a lot of low level tasks, like accessing the BIOS and rebooting the PC.

If you do find a generic one, I don't know if it will be cheap.

techi007 has the right idea, look at Intel's AMT or AMD's DASH and see if that fits your bill. Otherwise you're probably SOL.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.