Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have been sent two txt files from somebody who used to maintain a website for a client.

One contains the certificate from Thawte with:


The other contains the RSA Private Key


I've got the Certificate imported to Windows Server 2008, using the MMC snap-in, but it doesn't have the matching Private Key.

Is there anyway to create and install the private key from the second text file? Or do I need to create a new CSR request, and get a new certificate?

I'd rather create it from what has been sent if possible, just because I don't have access to the Thawte site to login, and the previous developer lives in the US and can be slow to respond. My client is in a rush to have the SSL up and running again.

I've not found an answer online, so guessing I have to generate a new request?

Any help greatly appreciated.

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

OpenSSL can convert the certificate/key to PKCS#12 format, which Windows should be able to import.

openssl pkcs12 -export -in foo.crt -inkey foo.key -out foo.p12
share|improve this answer
This worked great. I downloaded a Windows version from – Dan Harris Aug 16 '11 at 15:52

I believe this will describe the process needed to import the private key and pair it with the certificate:

Also, I'd consider this more of a Serverfault question.

share|improve this answer
Using the method above, I believe it would only work if you already have the private key on the machine, but deleted the public certificate. You would use the above when you want to re-connect the two after re-adding the public certificate – Dan Harris Aug 16 '11 at 15:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.