Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm thinking about a browser plugin that changes the text or images of websites before displaying them to the user. I guess it's similar to a web filter, but it doesn't prevent content from getting through, just alters it. like, e.g., Gizoogle, but built into the browser instead of being a site that you visit.

What's this called? Browser layer? Web interpreter?

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by jtbandes, Wuffers, ChrisF, studiohack Dec 1 '11 at 5:51

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

up vote 1 down vote accepted

The most famous example is perhaps Grease Monkey for Firefox. I think that such plugins do not have their own name yet, but I would say they are "web page customizers".

share|improve this answer
They use "UserScripts" – Simon Sheehan Aug 15 '11 at 23:30
according to Greasemonkey's wikipedia page it's called Augmented Browsing. thanks! – sigil Aug 15 '11 at 23:55

You could call them javascript userscripts, and Greasemonkey is a popular engine for them.

Opera and Google Chrome has Greasemonkey built-in, so you do not need to install any extensions when using those browsers.

There are many Greasemonkey userscripts available at, and it is not difficult to make your own.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .