Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I changed to another motherboard.

How do I force Ubuntu to renew its knowledge about hardware and install proper drivers?

share|improve this question
  1. Turn on the computer.

Linux does not keep any persistent "knowledge about hardware"; everything is auto-detected during boot – or when you plug the device in (for USB and such). All drivers are loaded dynamically, and 99% of them were already installed as part of the kernel. (The other 1% are proprietary video drivers, mostly – and Ubuntu takes care of them.)

share|improve this answer
That is one of the things I love the most about ubuntu. It just works. – Col Aug 17 '11 at 15:15
That is one of the things I hate the most about ubuntu. People assume it's a feature of Ubuntu specifically. – grawity Aug 17 '11 at 15:20
I've tried a few distros and it seems best in the debian based ones. – Col Aug 17 '11 at 15:23
It can't find my built in music card. However I had the same situation when after I reinstalled linux and everything worked fine. Does it do load dynamically now? – oneat Aug 17 '11 at 15:25
I run ubuntu from an usb hard drive and if use it on multiple computers I run into the problem with video drivers mentioned in the above answer.. Any suggestions for that scenario? – bryan Aug 17 '11 at 20:28

Short answer: There is no need.

If you are using a kernel provided by your distribution (ubuntu) then there is no need. The Linux kernel loads modules dynamically, and if there is any change, it will just load the appropriate module. If it can't, it means that module is not compiled into the kernel.

If you have a custom compiled kernel with minimum modules compiled, then you should recompile it (but I guess this is not the case).

If you have been playing with Xorg configuration, then you should check that it is using the corresponding module for your video card. But if you did not touched xorg.conf, then everything should be working smoothly.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.