Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to know if there is a way I can switch spaces on OS X without using control+1 or control+(arrow key).

For some reason this is locking up my keyboard. It probably has to do with another program I'm running, possibly LiteSwitch. This started happening when I updated to 10.6.8.

I was actually using applescript to switch spaces - so I don't mind using some utility or script to switch spaces. Is there something like a helper app that could do this?

I looked at the built in options for Quicksilver and Better Touch Tool, but I didn't see any options to assign space switching to them.


I know I can set the a mouse action, or a script, to pull up all the spaces and then click one, but I am curious to know how to switch directly to a specifc space without using the keyboard.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Enable "Show Spaces in menu bar" in System Preferences → Exposé and Spaces. You'll gain a utility in the menu bar that lets you switch directly to a space.

picture of Spaces menu bar utility

share|improve this answer
looks good. thank you. – cwd Aug 18 '11 at 15:34

You can use your mouse if you set Spaces to a hot corner:

  1. Go to Apple > System Preferences.

  2. You have two options here:

    1. Enter Desktop & Screen Saver Preferences Pane. Click on the button labelled "Hot Corners".

    2. Enter Expose and Spaces Preferences.

  3. Here, you can set the hot corners; so, you could set one corner to Spaces.

  4. You might also want to avoid accidental triggering by adding a modifier there.

share|improve this answer
I should have written "how can I switch directly to a space" without the keyboard. Is that possible? – cwd Aug 18 '11 at 12:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .