Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Cricket Broadband card modem(looks like a flash drive stick) which plugs into a USB port and a Netgear g54 wireless router with Ethernet ports only, how do i connect my modem to the router?

share|improve this question
I tried to find a reverse usb to ethernet adapter but I guess there is no such thing? – Ashley Brown Aug 18 '11 at 16:53

Unfortunately, you can't.

If you want to use a 3g dongle as your internet source, you need to buy a 3G/USB router.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
That was my experience as well although the 3g/USB router was not very expensive in the UK. – Col Aug 18 '11 at 16:55
@Col yep... 3G/USB only (e.g. not dual wan) routers are about £30-£40, and/or you can get 3g modem routers (ones that you put the usim directly in to) for around £70-£90 – William Hilsum Aug 18 '11 at 16:57
thank you guys so much, i will check to see where i can get one, if not i have a guy that can make a reverse usb to ethernet adapter for me i think. – Ashley Brown Aug 18 '11 at 17:00
@Ashley Brown Are you sure? ... Not sure one exists :/ That would basically be a non wireless version of what I showed above - it needs to be a device capable of dialing out (a 3g stick whilst complex, is basically a modem to a machine), and I haven't seen one before that wasn't a router. – William Hilsum Aug 18 '11 at 17:03
I mean just an adapter plug, like an extension, one end with a usb port and the other end to plug into an ethernet port. – Ashley Brown Aug 18 '11 at 17:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.