Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can I

  • take two USB 2.0 cables,
  • take the end that doesn't plug into the computer (the "receptacle" or "Type B" one),
  • cut it off,
  • then re-attach the two cables,

so I can plug both ends to my computer?

The reason why I'm looking to do this, is because I have an eBook reader that requires a PC sync through USB, and its USB receptacle is exact same port found on all computers.

To clarify, the ends I need look like this:

male A

And I'm looking to make a cable that has just this kind of plug. Like this: male A to male A USB cable

share|improve this question
you could probably find one off the shelf - many USB HDDs used to use that sort of cable – Journeyman Geek Aug 19 '11 at 11:58
So your eBook reader has a full Type A receptacle? How do they expect you to sync with that? – slhck Aug 19 '11 at 11:59
Yeah, pretty much any computer retailer will stock these cables. Dirt cheap too. You can order off new egg too: – Windos Aug 19 '11 at 12:08
Why not just buy one Amazon UK / Amazon US – Mike Insch Aug 19 '11 at 12:09
@slhck Yes it does. It's a bit old, just got it from my grandfather (he didn't think it worked... I changed the batteries...). I can't find a top view on the web, but the he optional docking cradle looks like [this].( – wizlog Aug 19 '11 at 12:11
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Sure. there's no reason you can't connect the two cable ends. It's probably not worth the effort, though, because you can order this kind of cable online for very little.

share|improve this answer

You can (fairly easily) splice your own because there are only four wires (plus a ground), however you should beware of signal issues such as ingress and egress. It probably won’t be an issue for your application, but if you are going to transfer data at high speeds or have sources of electro-magnetic noise near the cable, it could cause some problems (at best, lower speeds, at worst, data corruption).

As others have pointed out, you can get a ready-made (and presumably/questionably more reliable) gender-changer online for next to nothing. Your best bet is eBay, where you can find a cable for

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.