- I have a legal Windows XP Installation disk
- I don't want to reinstall
I am trying to do the right thing by letting an acquaintance use a legitimate version of Windows XP instead of the cracked one he is now using.
So far I have tried to
- use the WGA website to convert this illegal copy to a legal one. Unfortunately, that is no longer possible. All I can do here is buy a Windows 7 license and reinstall.
- boot with a legal copy into rescue mode (no idea what I can do here).
- boot with a legal copy and trying to install up to the point it asks me what partition to use. I assume that when I proceed, the current installed programs will have to be reinstalled (what I want to avoid).
- follow the suggestions given on superuser to deactivate and reactivate (without success)
Is this even possible or should I bite the bullet?