My wife's old HP Pavilion dv6000 suddenly shut off during the first bootup after being powered off for about 12 days (I saw the Windows XP splash screen, walked out of the room, and when I came back 2 minutes later the machine was off).
After that point, we no longer get any response at all from pushing the power button: no beep, lights on the chassis, hard drive or fan spinning up, etc.
My first suspicion with that problem is the power supply just died but one thing was making me wonder about it: there's a blue LED ring around the jack where the power supply plugs in, and that light still works — it's on whenever the laptop is connected to power. If the power supply were dead, could that light still light up? Isn't there a little BIOS battery on the board that could be powering that?
Also wondering, could this be a battery issue? The battery has worn down over the years to less than one hour of power when it's off the plug, and I'm wondering if it died completely.
I tried starting the machine plugged-in-but-battery-removed (no change), and also took it halfway apart to see if the connection from the power button to the board is compromised, but that seemed fine.