I'm using Windows XP. It had a virus and I had successfully cleaned and removed of all of them, and you can take my word for that.
Now, in Google Chrome and IE I can't get to
google.com, all other websites work but this one. I'm using a laptop under the same network and it works fine.
In both browsers, I typed in
http://22.214.171.124/ to get directly to Google and that worked. Once I'm in Google, I'd use the search bar and bang, again,
500 internal server error.
What can I do to fix this?
To make sure we're on the same page: My Windows XP hosts file is located at
C:\WINDOWS\system32\driver\etc – and is the host file is called "host"? In my
etc folder I only see:
These are my only four files. So, am I opening
lmhosts with Notepad and checking that out. There are only comment lines, and nothing related to "google".
There should be a
hosts file here, so I guess it's deleted. I copied the
hosts file from another Windows XP I am currently using and wanted to paste it there. It asked me if I wanted to overwrite. I said "no", and now I presume that the file is hidden.
I went to Control Panel > Folder Options and enabled "Show all hidden files". I go back into the folder, still nothing there. So I made a backup copy of the folder and attempted to overwrite the hosts file with the new one.
I get an error,
Cannot copy hosts: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."