I have tethered my HP Mini with LG Optimus One (with a 3G connection) and use it often while roaming for reading articles on the web. I am using Ubuntu 11.04 with Firefox 6. Here are the different means I use to save the network bandwidth.
- Turn off automatic updates for
- Ubuntu 11.04
- Firefox Addons
- Use AdBlock Plus in Firefox
- Installed 'nethogs' in Ubuntu to see which process is consuming the network.
- Save the articles in the ReadItLater offline mode when connected through BroadBand.
- I have installed NoScript in Firefox, but not sure if it really helps or not.
Are there any other means of saving the network bandwidth? As I mentioned I primarily use it to read articles.