The default Windows XP logon screen seems to no longer be functioning. I'm presented with a logon box asking for my username and password - I can still log in, but I wish to restore the old method.
I've tried the following:
- Toggled Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching in Control Panel, it had no effect.
control userpasswords2and toggled both Users must enter ... and Require users to press ...
- Ran system file checker:
sfc /scannow, there were no problems.
- Verified the Fast User Switching Compatibility service is up and running (
- Checked the Terminal Services service for good measure.
- Checked the Event Viewer for relevant issues, there were none.
- Verified there's no GinaDLL entry at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\LogonTypeis set to 1.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon\AllowMultipleTSSessionsis set to 1.
- Imported the Restore Fast User Switching registry file from kellys-korner-xp.com (which includes AllowMultipleTSSessions as above).
- Checked if
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\systemwas possibly overriding the above.
- Ran XP_FixLogon.exe from dougknox.com to verify the default standard Gina was in use.
- Getting desperate: double checked stats of gina files:
dir *gina* /p/s/a(even after SFC verified them).
- Getting desperate: used NirSoft's RegScanner to search for strings containing gina in the registry looking for something suspicious.