Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I just removed Windows 7 Home Premium and installed Windows 7 Ultimate instead. However, the feature that I had used from the beginning was the ability to actually stick a window to the side of the screen, so that it literally divided the screen.

What I mean is that, when I e.g. put my IM client to the right side of the screen and then open Notepad and maximize it, it will only fill up the space my IM client didn't reserve.

I am 99% sure I did not have any additional software installed for this feature. However, I can't find a way to do it now.

share|improve this question
To my knowledge no such feature is built in. The IM app probably used a Windows API Call. – digitxp Aug 31 '11 at 19:26
@digitxp; yeah, many IM clients I've seen do do this. – eidylon Aug 31 '11 at 19:33
Why not stick something to the left? Windows' built-in feature allows something stick to the right and left at the same time. – SgtOJ Aug 31 '11 at 20:30
The windows feature @SgtOJ is referring to is called Aero Snap (, but the behaviour isn't exactly what you're describing, so I'd probably go with what digitxp suggested. – Stuart McLaughlin Aug 31 '11 at 21:33
The only built-in way to get a similar effect is to use Windows Key + right arrow with your IM client, and Windows Key + left arrow with Notepad. The IM client will be snapped to the right, and Notepad will fill the left of the screen (but will not be truly maximised). – 8088 Sep 1 '11 at 1:42

You'll need a tiling windows manager.

I don't know of one that will do it automatically though. There are several AutoHotkey scripts out there that can be modified to provide this functionality though.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.