Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Of course, I have a cool card from a desktop I'm retiring, that I'd like to be able to use from the laptop I've replaced it with.

Laptop has no docking station. Best I can replace the card for is a LOT of money, it works hand in hand with an app I'd love to retain.

I want a device to give me access to PCI via PCMCIA or usb2.0 (laptop is a few years old and doesn't have the newer slot). Separate power is OK.

I would think it would be easy to find if such a device existed. All my searches turn up a million USB port cards that plug into a PCI slot - the opposite of what I want!

Does such a converter exist? I'm aware of difficulties to this, but am not interested in the why, only if you can drop a name, or say for sure it doesn't exist. thanks!

share|improve this question
USB 2.0 is less than half as fast as PCI - on paper. Transfer rates will be less than that. What is this "cool card?" Isnt there a USB device that does the same thing? –  Keltari Sep 2 '11 at 2:40
@Keltari - It's something that doesn't require a very high bandwidth ;-) –  FastAl Sep 2 '11 at 3:21
I'm still not sure what this cool card you speak of is. –  Sam Sep 2 '11 at 7:00

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted


I am having the same issue. I also have a "cool card" that I want to run from my laptop and it is the traditional PCI interface. I want an adaptor to go from my usb port to this card. I did see this and I was thinking that it may be worth a shot.


perhaps we can skip the other internal card and just connect up to the usb? its about 40 bucks, but its way cheaper than magma. I really need this, but I don't $1000 need it, if you know what I mean

share|improve this answer
I wouldn't think the USB-looking port actually transmits USB, but maybe it does. That's possibly the strangest bit of PC hardware I've seen recently. –  ultrasawblade Mar 19 '13 at 15:25
Did anyone actually try this adapter? Is it USB, or is it just using an USB-cable for data-transfer? –  Christian Wattengård Dec 5 '13 at 14:21

There's Magma 1-Slot Cardbus to Half-Length PCI Expansion Unit and Magma 1-Slot Cardbus to Full-Length PCI Expansion Unit that will connect cardbus to a PCI housing, but at about $1000 it is NOT cheap. You could get a new PC with a PCI slot for less. Magma also offers a fiber to PCI expansion chassis, but I doubt that would be much cheaper and you'd have the added cost of a PCMCIA Fiber nic

share|improve this answer
Yikes! I figured as much. I could replace my current solution for that kind of jack. I had just hoped I could pick up a usb2pci like a usb2ide ;0 wishfully perhaps. –  FastAl Sep 2 '11 at 3:33
Also ARS technology ssi2-pci-x3 - SSI2 PCI 3 connector card ... arstech.com/item-SSI2-PCI-3-connector-card-ssi2_pci_x3.html –  FastAl Feb 1 '13 at 19:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.