I'm trying to help someone connect to his Exchange 2003 Server remotely over RPC/HTTPS. He is the only one having issues. He's on a Windows 7 Home Premium laptop, connecting through wireless in his house.
I started by keeping it simple and testing outlook web access. It kept complaining the user name or password was wrong. I tried logging in as domain\username instead of just username, with the same result. I tried multiple other users, no dice.
So then, I figured I should get him on the work VPN and take the authentications issues out of it. I'd set it up as a normal Outlook account and worry about RPC/HTTPS later. When I did that, it still could not authenticate his username. I couldn't map a network drive either--it's always rejecting the user name or password. It's acting like DNS isn't resolving, even though I can try nbtstat -an on an IP address on the network and get the right name. Either that, or the mechanism that handles windows authentication on the client side is broken.
Network settings: Nothing looked wrong--ip, subnet mask, gateway, dns were being picked up by dhcp. I did turn off his homegroup to be safe. I also turned off his Ethernet port just to be safe.
Antivirus: He had Mcafee AV, something called iyogi, malwarebytes antimalware, and Microsoft Security Essentials. I uninstalled the first two.
DNS: While on VPN, I did an nslookup for known computers on the network, which failed. It does report the correct DNS server, however. I could ping IP addresses on the work network, but I couldn't ping DNS names.
Firewall: I turned it off temporarily, same results.
Event logs: I seem to see event 4648 on his side and event 529 on the server side, so the authentication attempt is getting out, just failing.
If anyone can offer some advice here, I'd be eternally grateful. I just can't figure this one out!