Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have one computer connected to the internet, then second computer connected to the first. I want the second PC (which is not connected to internet) to act like the first PC. I dont have a router and my internet connection is based on a MAC address. The best solution for me would be these two computers acting on the local area network as one.

What is the best way to do this?

share|improve this question

migrated from Sep 7 '11 at 10:49

This question came from our site for system and network administrators.

Either configure connection sharing, bridge the connection on your first PC, or purchase a router.

share|improve this answer
I would use Internet Connection Sharing (or whatever it's called these days) instead. – Sven Sep 7 '11 at 10:42
Dead right, edited to add that in. – Chris Thorpe Sep 7 '11 at 10:44
Should add that almost every router in existence today can do Admin Configured MAC. – Chris S Sep 7 '11 at 12:31

Purchase a router. You can use Internet connection sharing, but you're asking for configuration headaches down the road. It's a lot easier in the long run to just have a router and run two network cables to the two machines.

share|improve this answer

first, a cross-over cable between the two PCs is a best. second, clone mac address of the first PC to the second PC third, clone the IP of the first PC to the second PC. that's it. Both PCs work as one without internet connection sharing. hope it helps

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.