Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I tried to use the terminal. I typed "help" and was happy to see a list of commands appear on the screen, among which "use 'info bash' to find out more about the shell in general". So I typed 'info bash', and these words appeared :

File: ada-mode, Node: GNU Free Documentation License, Next: Index, Prev: Comment Handling, Up: Top

followed by various text paragraphs.

It looks like when I press the spacebar, I can jump to the next page of text. I cannot find how to exit this "application". How should I do ?

What is the name of this application?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

It's the GNU info system for documentation. To exit, hit q. To learn about it, enter info info

share|improve this answer
As a general rule, text viewers in Unix (anything that is less or looks like less) are exited with q. So remember this key also for man and similar commands. – jcrawfordor Sep 7 '11 at 16:12
Thank you for the answer and the advice. – wil Sep 8 '11 at 14:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.