Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to do a multi track audio recording at home using a software like audacity. In my old PC which is no longer working [:(] I used to have a provision to convert line-out i.e. the speaker out jack also as a line-in jack using a software. I would like to do the same with my new HP laptop. Is it possible to do so?

share|improve this question

I believe that ability is determined by the audio card and drivers. If the card doesn't support it, changing the software won't help. I would make sure you have the latest drivers for that card and then check under your audio settings.

share|improve this answer

Most likely the answer is no. You can permanently damage your sound card if you attempt to run a signal into the output jack. Unless the hardware specifically allows for this, I would not attempt it.

share|improve this answer

I'd go out and buy a USB audio interface (UCA202 for example or this or maybe this)

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .