Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to do a multi track audio recording at home using a software like audacity. In my old PC which is no longer working [:(] I used to have a provision to convert line-out i.e. the speaker out jack also as a line-in jack using a software. I would like to do the same with my new HP laptop. Is it possible to do so?

share|improve this question

I believe that ability is determined by the audio card and drivers. If the card doesn't support it, changing the software won't help. I would make sure you have the latest drivers for that card and then check under your audio settings.

share|improve this answer

Most likely the answer is no. You can permanently damage your sound card if you attempt to run a signal into the output jack. Unless the hardware specifically allows for this, I would not attempt it.

share|improve this answer

I'd go out and buy a USB audio interface (UCA202 for example or this or maybe this)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.