Edit: This happens consistently in games but also occasionally (once every 4 or 5 days) when having trivial apps like Skype open.
So I built a slightly new PC back in May. The upgrade consisted of a new CPU (i5-2500k), a new miniatx case, a motherboard (p8p67-m), some ram and a PSU (an OCZ 600W). The other stuff such as the 5850 I put into this one as I had absolutely no problems with it along with the hard drives.
However, as soon as I started playing a game from 10 minutes to 2 hours, I would get an abrupt restart. No minidump created/found as far as I can see, automatic restart disabled...just a complete hard reboot. This happens within the 10min - 2hr range in a game but without a game, it does happen to only maybe once ever 4-5 days. For example, I was just on skype the other day and for no reason it did the same hard reboot.
I have done memtest86+ up to around 93% (?) with no signs of error. I then messed around with drivers and did a new install of windows 7 with no help. I've tried different games with the same behavior. I switched out the PSU finally with a new Corsair 700W and still, the same issue. I also changed the case to a different thermaltake mini-atx one.
Thinking that maybe the microatx case (overheating) was a problem, I logged the temps before a complete reboot and here they are, I don't think they look that crazy:
- Date : 9/11/11
- Time: 23:42:00
- C0(F): 138
- C1(F): 136
- C2(F): 133
- C3(F): 136
- Date: 2011-09-11 23:42:23
- GPU Core Clock [MHz]: 725.0
- GPU Memory Clock [MHz]: 1000.0
- GPU Temperature [°C]: 79.0
- Fan Speed (%) [%]: 33
- Fan Speed (RPM) [RPM]: 2324
- GPU Load [%]: 87
- GPU Temp. #1 [°C]: 80.0
- GPU Temp. #2 [°C]: 83.0
- GPU Temp. #3 [°C]: 82.5
- Memory Usage (Dedicated) [MB]: 276
- Memory Usage (Dynamic) [MB]:40
- VDDC [V]:1.0875
- VDDC Current [A]:34.8
- VDDC Phase #1 Temperature [°C]: 68
- VDDC Phase #2 Temperature [°C]: 68
- VDDC Phase #3 Temperature [°C]: 67
So to sum it up, hard reboots, no minidump that I can see, kernel-power error only in event log, the older 5850 worked fine in my old build and this happened very quickly once I switched over to the new hardware. Meaning, it wasn't like it was a gradual thing which occurred after two weeks stable but rather right away. I only bring it up now since I've gotten to the point of frustration with this.