Right, got a PC sat in front of me that will not boot from any of my several offical, clean Windows XP CDs. It'll load the 11.04 Ubuntu disk okay, but not a Windows one.
Both CD-ROM and HDD appear in the BIOS.
For the fun of it I have:
- Swapped the CD-ROM for a new one
- Swapped the IDE cable
- Changed jumpers from cable select to master / slave
- Tried running the CD-ROM only
- Opened the manual boot selection menu and chosen CD-ROM
- Removed all front facing ports from mobo headers (USB,card reader, sound etc)
Nothing works, the machine in question is an eMachines 3240.
Can anyone suggest something I may have missed.