Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a way to change the partition type of a partition of an external HDD in windows to one that windows does not support? For example change an ntfs partition to ext3 or Solaris.

Are there any free programs that can do this or would hex editing the id work? I don't mean formatting, simply changing the partition table type.

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

You can use EASEUS Partition Manager to do that, however, as you already said, it is not a partition type compatible with your Windows and it will not be listed as a Windows partition, I mean, you cant use your external hard drive with your windows anymore.

share|improve this answer
should i make the disk 'raw' before using that program to partition it or that program actually can change partition types? Am downloading... it thanks for suggestion. I think i need to select 'format partition' right? It has ext2 and ext3 options only. – babywhipes1985 Sep 14 '11 at 17:47
You will need to format your partition as ext2 or ext3, it is not possible to change it without clean your partitions. – Diogo Sep 14 '11 at 17:50
Should i select create as: PRIMARY or LOGICAL as partition type? Thanks it works, will mark as answer. – babywhipes1985 Sep 14 '11 at 17:52

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .