Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm building a PC, and with the case I have something called a Nut setter, I only have one of these but I'm not sure what it is used for. Could you explain what I could possibly need this tool for?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

It attaches to a screwdriver with a hex shaft or an electric drill, used to drive or tighten nuts or hex pieces.

share|improve this answer
That's actually a pretty good picture , if I might add. – surfasb Sep 18 '11 at 0:51

It is used to tighten the brass stand-offs that support the motherboard. The stand-off is a strange looking brass screw, with a tall hex head, that is itself bored and threaded to accept the screws that hold the motherboard down. There are usually many more places in the case for these stand-offs than there are actual holes in the motherboard, so your case can be adapted for a wide variety of motherboards by changing the locations of these stand offs. Just be sure that as many holes in the motherboard as possible have stand-offs under them, but especially NOT in where there is no hole, that would cause a short on the circuit board.

share|improve this answer

Most "nut setters" are adapters that allow you to do up nuts using a hex-drive handle (of the sort usually used for screwdriver bits) instead of using a spanner/wrench.

Presumably your case has some hex-head screws to hold the parts of the case together and/or to hold components such as the PSU in place.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.