Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was wondering if there is a way to create aliases for Microsoft Word. For example, if I write:

YMCA<space or tab> it should expand to Young Men's Christian Association.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

You can do this with the AutoCorrect feature under Options, Proofing.. Add YMCA to the Replace box and Young men's... to the With box, then click Add

share|improve this answer
worth pointing out he should look in the Tools Menu, for autocorrect. In W2k3 anyway, it's tools..autocorrect options –  barlop Sep 19 '11 at 18:10
Does this method accept line breaks? –  Rook Sep 19 '11 at 18:16
@Rook: It does not. You should look at the AutoText features or use the program AutoHotkey. –  surfasb Sep 20 '11 at 2:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.