Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been given a laptop to fix - it is 'randomly scrolling documents'. I'm almost certain it's a faulty connection in the keyboard, causing page-down to fire. Is there a program I can use to monitor all key presses from the keyboard to see if this is the case?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

What you need is a Keylogger. For example, you can use Actual Keylogger, a free keylogger which runs hidden in the background and automatically records all keystrokes.

Alternatively, you can use PassMark Keyboard Test. It's a shareware with a fully functional and free 30 day evaluation. It allows you to quickly check that all the keys on your computer keyboard are functioning correctly, check the keyboard LED's and look at the internal scan codes being generated by the keyboard.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
This seems like it would do the trick, but is there anything where I can view the data stream 'live', rather than having to check a log periodically? – fredley Sep 20 '11 at 21:54
@fredley: Please see my edit. – Mehper C. Palavuzlar Sep 20 '11 at 22:08

You could use AutoHotkey and KeyboardHook to see what keys are being pressed. You only need to create a script with this line


Save the file with and "ahk" extension and run it. Then in the Systray do a right click in the proper icon and select open. In the menu select View-> F5 to update. This two sites could be of some help:

share|improve this answer

A really quick Google search turned up this:

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.