I hope someone can help - it would save me several hours if I do not have to fully reinstall my machine.
Here is a brief summary of what has happened
- Whilst browsing the web, Windows 7 (Ultimate 64) flashed up the BSOD for 0.5 seconds and the computer immediately restarted.
- After checking CD drives for bootable media, the BIOS reported "A disk read error has occurred" *(see note 1)
- "Oh crumbs - my HDD has just died" I thought and popped in the windows install disk and rebooted.
- After the computer has boted from the DVD and I selected my language, I chose the repair windows installation link.
- A dialog is then shown that should list the windows installations that it can detect. This dialog was empty.
- Before wiping and reinstalling, I thought I would check what was accessible from the windows command prompt. To my surprise, my system partition and all the other HDDs were accessible. So (thankfully) it's not a critical-HDD-innards-have-been-toasted problem. But obviously booting is a problem!
- I then ran the Boot repair tool. It reported that it had fixed 1 problem (I think it said that it created a master boot record - but I must admit to not making a note of the message and I may be misremembering).
- I rebooted - I got the same error from the BIOS ("A disk read error has occurred")
- I booted from the install CD again. Now my windows installation IS detected and is shown in the dialog.
- I ran the Boot repair tool again. It reports that there is nothing wrong! The operating system should boot up.
- I ran
chkdsk /Ffrom the command prompt. No errors were found or fixed.
- I ran
Bootrec /ScanOsand it reported that there were "0 windows installations" detected - I am not sure if this is a good or a bad thing!
So now I am in the position where everything appears to be fine according to the repair tools but are obviously not!
A colleague suggested that I run
Bootrec /FixMbr but according to the docs, this would only help if there was a MBR corruption issue - and then surely the boot repair tool would not be telling me that everything is fine!
I guess I basically want to know
- Does anyone have a an idea as to what may have happened/is happening?
- Is running
Bootrec /FixMbrworth a shot - i.e. could I make matters worse/more complicated by running this.
Note 1: A couple of months ago I got this same error ("A disk read error has occurred") but it went away after 2 or three restarts.