Sometimes, my PC (win7, 64 bit version.) will freeze for 5-10 seconds.
- Sometimes the mouse cursor still moves, but my actions do not do anything. Sometimes the mouse cursor is frozen too.
- It usually happens a few minutes after boot, but well after all the start-up tasks have "died down".
- One of the most sure-fire ways to induce it is to browse to a stackexchange site that uses the LaTeX plugin. Math Stackexchange will do this almost every time, but only the first time I visit it.
Based on cursory research my first suspect is the HDD so I:
- Updated the drivers of the motherboard and the bios to the latest version.
- Read out the SMART data of my disk. It shows the disk to be healthy with 0 recorded retries.
The problem still persists, and it is quite annoying.
Can anyone offer any specific insights, or point me toward a general troubleshooting strategy?