My laptop is running Windows 7, and on our wireless network at work, I get a strange problem where every 5 minutes,
DNS the network stops working. The admin here took a look at it, but concluded that it's a local problem, and since it's a personal laptop, there's nothing he can do (since I'm not about to let him re-image it :)
Anyway, I've found that if I do
DNS the network works, and I can view the interwebs again. At least, until 5 minutes later when it stops working again.
On my wireless at home, this doesn't happen (i.e.,
DNS everything works fine forever).
Does anyone have any ideas about why it's doing this?
Windows 7 SP1 x64/Atheros AR5B97 Wireless Network Adapter
EDIT for Dan:
I don't have access to a physical network jack for my laptop, but at home, plugging it in directly works fine. But, then again, so does the wireless.
ipconfig /flushdnsdoesn't fix it.
That's correct, all name resolution fails. I only have external names to test, as our wireless is on a completely isolated network from our wired LAN (the source of much frustration when someone asks how to access XYZ server from their laptop or whatever), but they fail:
C:>ping google.com Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.
Now, here's something I didn't realize before. If I add (for example) google's IP to my HOSTS file, then that still doesn't work:
C:\>ping mygoogle Pinging mygoogle [184.108.40.206] with 32 bytes of data: Request timed out. Request timed out. Ping statistics for 220.127.116.11: Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 0, Lost = 2 (100% loss),
- No, I cannot ping the DNS server either.