Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There exist a hotkey to "Go to the end of the word" in Windows? or can be this created trough Autohotkey?

I know that are editors where this hotkey exist like Notepad++, VIM, etc. but what i need is a general hotkey that can be applied to any editor.

I thought that i could use the sequence Ctrl+Right, Left but if i have text with more than one space between words then this method doesn't work.

share|improve this question
There isn't a hotkey by default, as you say, it depends on the editor. You would have to define your own hotkey with a program like Autohotkey. – Ramhound Sep 27 '11 at 16:47
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Every editor is different regarding to the use of Ctrl-Right and Ctrl-Left. Sometimes they go to the end or beginning of the word, and sometimes to the next word. The editors also differ in their treatment of punctuation (.,!?). Some treat it as separate words, some as part of the word.

I am afraid there is no general method of going to the end of the word.

share|improve this answer
After a lot of search i think that you are right. As alternative I create a program in C#, to jump to the end of a word in forward and bakward directions using the PGDn and PGUp Hotkeys. Perhaps my attemps to try to make it run smooth it doesn't, basically because it need to send to much keypress and make selection and copy operations and regular expression calculations to obtain the precise location of where the cursor needs to move. As i don't have direct access to the line and as consecuence i need to rely in key simulation its never going to be smooth. – mjsr Oct 2 '11 at 21:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.