Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am building a PC-based security DVR. I am using Cat6 to carry the video signal (converted via balun), power, and RS-485.

Is there a standard or convention for which twisted pairs I use for which? The baluns I am using are screw terminal so I am free to use any twisted pairs I choose for the video as well as the power and RS-485.

share|improve this question
How much power is going down those lines? Are you following an existing guide for this? – Doc Sep 27 '11 at 20:13
12VDC 120mA per cat6 cable – michael Sep 27 '11 at 21:05
as for a guide. not per say. I am using commercial grade video baluns specifically meant to be used with cat5/6 cable. Its done all the time, but I haven't yet seen a wiring guide for which twisted pairs are used for power/485/video – michael Sep 27 '11 at 21:07

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .