OK, here is a problem I've been struggling with all day. My computer was working fine until I recently unplugged one of the monitor cables to use for another computer.
After I plugged it back, ever since then, every time Windows 7 boots up from a hard reboot, it will boot up to the splash screen, then display a black screen indefinately. At this point, the monitors are still powered (as indicated by the LED) but nothing is displayed on the screen. There is not even any PC activity.
Here are the things I've discovered while troubleshooting:
- this black screen only happens after a HARD reboot. Soft reboots are fine after I go into safe mode.
- there is no difference whether I have dual monitors running or not
- I told my bios to use the onboard graphics instead of my ATI Radeon 4550 but there's no difference
- I unplugged all USB devices with no effect
- I reformatted my computer with Windows 7 and reapplied the graphics card drivers with no effect
Extra info about my system:
- Windows 7 RC 64 bit
- ATI Radeon 4550HD
- G31M-ES2L motherboard
- 4GB RAM, 500GB HD
I need suggestions of more things to try to resolve this. The odd thing is that this happened only because the VGA cable was temporarily removed.
Update: I fixed the problem by taking out and reinserting the video card. I guess it was just loose.