In the Windows XP hosts file (C:\windows\drivers\etc\hosts) replaces the mnemonic format with an ip address locally before talking to the dns. Previously, I have used the four slots for hosts and keywords in a linksys router wrt54gs; which is very limiting. The segment below has been designed to block the game Adventure Quest with hosts collected from Fiddler2.
- How can this segment be consolidated and/or is there a better way to block this game?
- Does the host "battleon.com" differ from the host "www.battleon.com"?
- Can hosts reference a subdirectory "dragonfable.battleon.com/game/"?
- Can hosts reference a specific page?
- Is there a better way, have I errored, and any suggestions?
# BattleOn (Adventure Quest); 127.0.0.1 battleon.com 127.0.0.1 www.battleon.com 127.0.0.1 battleon.com/aq-play.asp # ? specific asp page 127.0.0.1 aq.battleon.com 127.0.0.1 banners.battleon.com 127.0.0.1 dragonfable.battleon.com 127.0.0.1 dragonfable.battleon.com/game/ # ? subdirectory 127.0.0.1 guardian.battleon.com 127.0.0.1 media.battleon.com 127.0.0.1 forums.battleon.com 127.0.0.1 forums1.battleon.com 127.0.0.1 forums2.battleon.com 127.0.0.1 video.battleon.com 127.0.0.1 adlegend.com 127.0.0.1 ad.adlegend.com 127.0.0.1 cpmstar.com 127.0.0.1 cdn.cpmstar.com 127.0.0.1 server.cpmstar.com 127.0.0.1 scorecardresearch.com 127.0.0.1 beacon.scorecardresearch.com 127.0.0.1 quantserve.com 127.0.0.1 edge.quantserve.com 127.0.0.1 pixel.quantserve.com