Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Are there any devices that do not need to be physically connected to a network (only to a power source) and just take any WiFi signal they receive and reproduce it in order to increase the range of a WiFi network?

If so, how are such devices called? Google just gives me strange DIY guides if I search for "WiFi extender".

share|improve this question
I would Google for "wifi repeater" – RedGrittyBrick Sep 29 '11 at 15:50
up vote 1 down vote accepted

What you're looking for is a wireless repeater, such as the Netgear WN3000RP.

share|improve this answer

It's called wireless repeater. In fact is just another wireless router configured in a special way. Check these links:

I'm linking to the DD-WRT firmware page but some routers have this feature built in. Depending on your case you could just upgrade from 802.11g to 802.11n to increase your range/speed.

share|improve this answer

It's called a wireless repeater (also called wireless range extender).

It takes an existing signal from a wireless router or access point and rebroadcasts it to create a second network. So when two or more hosts have to be connected with one another over the Wi-Fi and the distance is too long for a direct connection to be established, a wireless repeater is used to bridge the gap.

AP as Repeater

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .