Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Are there any devices that do not need to be physically connected to a network (only to a power source) and just take any WiFi signal they receive and reproduce it in order to increase the range of a WiFi network?

If so, how are such devices called? Google just gives me strange DIY guides if I search for "WiFi extender".

share|improve this question
I would Google for "wifi repeater" – RedGrittyBrick Sep 29 '11 at 15:50
up vote 1 down vote accepted

What you're looking for is a wireless repeater, such as the Netgear WN3000RP.

share|improve this answer

It's called wireless repeater. In fact is just another wireless router configured in a special way. Check these links:

I'm linking to the DD-WRT firmware page but some routers have this feature built in. Depending on your case you could just upgrade from 802.11g to 802.11n to increase your range/speed.

share|improve this answer

It's called a wireless repeater (also called wireless range extender).

It takes an existing signal from a wireless router or access point and rebroadcasts it to create a second network. So when two or more hosts have to be connected with one another over the Wi-Fi and the distance is too long for a direct connection to be established, a wireless repeater is used to bridge the gap.

AP as Repeater

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.