Just bought an
HP 4530s from newegg. Laptop is great, but..
The FAN is always on. I did some googling, found it is a known problem, but no easily googlable solution.
- Update BIOS to the latest
- Disable "CPU fan always on when plugged in" BIOS setting
- Installed Windows 7 Home (came with), Live CDed Ubuntu, Windows XP
- Spent 2 hours with horrible HP support
- Some other things that I can't already recall => spent too much time on it
Laptop is not refundable (learned it the hard way, after the fact, by looking at the NEWEGG clever policy that is hidden in "details")
I would really appreciate a workable solution / workaround / hack. The laptop is for my friend who will most likely be running Windows XP/7.