Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a way to create my own input language in Windows 7? For example I switch from EN to, let's say for example RR, and then, when I press "A" on my keyboard, it inserts (Alt + 241) symbol, and so on. Is there a way to do this?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You can do this with AutoHotKey. It is a small scripting language for windows that you can link with hotkeys. I use it myself to insert french accents using an US keyboard.
To do what you want the source code is simply:

a::send, ±

Save this to a file called keyboard.ahk for example and drag-n-drop it on AutoHotKey.exe to launch it. A system tray icon will appear with a white H over green. Right click it to close the program. After you can use the utility Ahk2Exe to package it as a stand-alone binary.

There is a UTF-8 compatible version called AutoHotKey_L if you need to insert really special characters.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.