Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How can I type the » (») character on the mac keyboard? I noticed that I can type a lot of other chacters by using cmd/control/option and keys, but what about this this one?

share|improve this question
up vote 11 down vote accepted

On a UK keyboard AltShift\ gives »

(Found by doing alt and every letter - finding Alt\ gives «)

Also via System Preferences > Keyboard > Check "Show Keyboard & Character Viewer in menu bar". Then from the menu bar choose "Keyboard Viewer" and this shows all the characters each key gives you, including the various combinations with Shift and other modifiers.

share|improve this answer
Works on a US keyboard, too. [Alt] is the same as [Option]. – William Jackson Oct 1 '11 at 18:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.