Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have searched my file system for this command, but I can not find it. It must be aliased somehow, but none of the clever unix utils that I have installed in on Windows machine can help me find it.

Any clue?

share|improve this question
thanks to both grawity and Psycogeek for good answers. It is also possible to use "cmd /c ren" – CLJ Oct 6 '11 at 19:45
up vote 8 down vote accepted

It is built into the cmd.exe shell.

share|improve this answer
Type in 'help' at the command to see a list of commands. – jftuga Oct 6 '11 at 18:02

Some commands in the command prompt are built into the "shell". There is a list here of the internals, and a long reference list here. But they do not seem to be designated there as to being internal or not.

Many internal items can be replaced with better 3rd party external versions, so if you need a executable rename, you might be able to find one.

share|improve this answer
"the normal way a person would do that"...? Why? Why would using built-in commands be 'not normal'? – grawity Oct 6 '11 at 18:30
@grawity, I edited that line out, didn't make sense to me either. – Lance Roberts Oct 6 '11 at 23:46
Much better, thanks. – Psycogeek Oct 7 '11 at 6:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .