Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I had got a internet connection from ISP.

The etho mode is 10 mbps half duplex.

i have a router of dlink DES-1008D (wired switch ).

I want to configure a home wired network so I can connect my multiple system .

My ISP requires to configure me static ip in the ip configuration . They have given us

IP address x.y.z.a subnet mask Default Gateway x.y.z.1

and DNS server name's

Now what settings I need to done to use my router ?

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007, Nifle, 8088, Simon Sheehan, studiohack Nov 9 '11 at 1:26

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

The DES-1008D is not a router. For you to connect your computers safely to the internet you will need a router not a unmanaged switch. When you have a router, you can set the router IP address to what the ISP requires and the rest of the computers can get a dynamic address from the router. – wbeard52 Oct 12 '11 at 19:34
Please see the following link: Networking for Dummies Online PDF – David Oct 12 '11 at 19:36
@wbeard52 so I can't use that to connect to multiple computers ? with my old ISP(which was having dynamic ip), I was able to connect – Vivek Goel Oct 12 '11 at 19:37
No. It's likely your old ISP was providing a dual-purpose 'Modem' and 'Router', in which case your switch would have worked like you're describing. Who is your new Service Provider, and what equipment have they provided you? – Charlls Oct 12 '11 at 19:39
in past I was using Airtel broadband now I am using – Vivek Goel Oct 12 '11 at 19:42
up vote 0 down vote accepted

The DES-1008D is actually a Network Switch (not a Router). You'll need a Network Router, to configure the Static IP Address (x.y.z.a).

Most consumer routers assume your ISP will provide a WAN IP Address via DHCP. You'll need to find the settings via your Router's Configuration page, to 'Configure the Static WAN IP.'

I always just use Google's DNS.


Your best bet is to go buy a Router, and then edit your question to include what router you got, if you have any questions about setting it up.

You can configure the Static WAN IP on your PC and use the DES-1008D as a DMZ Switch, but I'm not sure this is what you're trying to accomplish.

share|improve this answer
My dns server is this so can I go to any type of router ? Will I need to do some specif configuration with that ? – Vivek Goel Oct 12 '11 at 19:48

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .