I'm trying to install Debian on VirtualBox running on a Debian host, but the guest is incredibly slow. Looking at the output of top it appears that the guest is CPU bound (I see high CPU usage but very low disk wait and no swapping).
Why could this be?
- Debian 6 (both host and guest)
- VirtualBox-ose installed from Debian repos (version 3.2.10 edit I've since upgrade to 4.1.2 binaries from virtualbox.org and I'm still having the same issues).
- Host CPU info: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/491839/
- Guest has ~300 megs of RAM, which should be plenty for the non-graphical installer
- The install has been running for close to three hours now, and it seems to be spending most of its time on the "configuring package" steps
Edit: I've installed VirtualBox onto an identical host running Windows XP and everything is fast (or, at least, as fast as it should be)… So this would appear to be an issue with VirtualBox + Linux or Debian.